Thursday, April 5, 2007

Holy Sh*t!

This posting is inspired by a conversation I had with two friends of mine from home who called yesterday (if you are reading this, and have my number, and would like to call, feel free!). When they realized I was already in Jerusalem, the Holy City, and in the middle of Holy Week, one of them exclaimed, "Holy Sh*t!"

If one needs to do the number two in this Holy City during Holy Week, I believe the place to do it would be in the lavatories either in or near the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the place where Christ is believed to have been crucified, buried and where he rose from the dead. This Church is, according to my guidebook, "uncomfortably" shared by many Christian denominations - Greek Orthodox, Latin, Armenian, and Coptic - who can be thought of as the world's holiest and most disfunctional condo association. They are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of this sacred property and, apparently, each aspect of care of the Church has required protracted discussion. Rumor has it that they cannot come to agreement on what to do about the public toilet facilities, and that they are neglected. I might just have to see for myself.

No comments: