Sunday, March 25, 2007

Well Fed in Safed

Had there not still been a gray cottony fog over Tzfat, I would have had an amazing view of the city from my perch at Gan Eden, the restaurant where I had lunch. Without the distraction, I was able to focus fully on the food.

I ordered the Galilee Calzones, which were actually lightly fried dumplings filled with local cheese and arranged atop a mountain of greens, carrots, zucchini, walnuts and raisins. Even though the salad was dressed, the dish came with two low pitchers filled with additional dressings ... yet another of the town's mysteries? The house lemonade, in a tall glass garnished with mint leaves, was straightforward. And after deliberating over dessert (cheesecake or chocolate?), I was very satisfied with the large wedge of warm chocolate cake I ordered.

No comments: